How does the law protect the confidentiality of my health information?

For information about the health information laws in your state, visit the website of The Center for Democracy and Technology.

Most health records are subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule. Health records originated by the federal government, such as the Veterans Administration or Indian Health Services, are also subject to the Privacy Act of 1974.

Health records originated by federally subsidized substance abuse programs are subject to the Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records rule.

If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you should contact the privacy officer of the provider or hospital where you believe the violation occurred to try to resolve your concern. If you are unable to resolve your concern locally, you can file a formal complaint regarding the organization’s privacy practices directly to the organization, health plan, or to the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights (OCR). The OCR is charged with investigating complaints and enforcing the privacy regulation.

See more at: http://myphr.com/resources/faqs.aspx

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
What happens to the health reimbursement account (HRA) if I leave my job?
Your health reimbursement account (HRA) is established, funded and controlled by your employer and H...
What are the tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA)?
There are several tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA), an account or trust you set up wit...
Health Insurance: Using Data to Improve Health Outcomes