How can I choose health insurance that meets my needs as a cancer survivor?

Find out what each health insurance plan covers and what it does not. Read the plan to see what health care services are included and are not: 
  • Make a list of your current and projected health care needs for services and treatments.
  • Review existing health insurance plans, as well as your current medical needs to decide whether you have the right type of health coverage.
  • Define the co-payment and deductible charges that the health plan may require.
  • Find out if the services of your current physician or health care provider will be covered under the health plan.
  • Find out which treatments are covered and if prescribed long-term follow-up care is included.
  • Consider how much you will have to pay for services, including physician visits, lab tests and prescription medications.
  • Identify whether the insurance plan will cover expenses related to your health care, such as lodging, meals and transportation.
  • Find out if the insurer is billed directly by the medical providers or whether you must first make the payment and later receive reimbursement from the insurance company.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Will I pay more for out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services will likely cost you more  than services provided by doctors or other health...
Who can collect Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who hav...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?