How does health insurance affect me?

More than 17 million women (nearly one in five) age 18 to 64 are uninsured in the United States. As health insurance costs soar, employers cut benefits, or jobs disappear, millions of people slip through the cracks and lose their coverage. These are working Americans who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but don't have enough money to buy health insurance. Also, women are twice as likely as men to be insured as a "dependent" on a spouse's plan. So, she risks losing coverage if she divorces, is widowed, or if her spouse loses his job.

Uninsured women are more likely to suffer serious health problems. They tend to wait too long to seek treatment, and many don't fill needed prescription drugs because of cost. Also many don't get preventive care, including lifesaving screening tests such as mammorgrams and Pap tests. The lack of health insurance can even be deadly as research has shown that uninsured adults are more likely to die earlier than those who have insurance.

The rising costs of health insurance also affect insured women. According to one national survey, one in six privately insured women postponed or went without needed care because she could not afford it. In 2005, a typical insurance premium for individuals cost $4,024 and $10,800 for families.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
Can my young adult children stay on my health plan?
Your young adult children can stay on your health plan until they turn 26 years old. The Patient Pro...
How can I keep records of my out-of-pocket expenses?
Keeping records of your out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses is important if you want to includ...
How Important Is the Patient-Doctor Relationship?