How can I get a good price for health insurance if I am a cancer survivor?

The following approach will help you get a good rating and the best price for your health insurance plan:
  • Provide clear and complete health information. Consider how you state the information you provide. Keep in mind that incomplete answers can raise concerns on the part of the insurer. For example, instead of only stating that you have had cancer, you might want to offer more detailed information, such as when you were diagnosed with cancer and that you successfully completed treatment. If you are now considered to be free of cancer, share that information as well.
  • Find out what your health rating with the insurer is and what it is based on. Keep in mind that the criteria, or standard of insurability by which you are judged should be objective and factual. Finding out how and why you are being ranked a certain way may allow you to provide more information that will improve your ranking and result in a lower premium.
  • Compare insurers and insurance policies before you buy. Different insurance companies may view your health and the risk that you pose very differently. Ranking terms and definitions may vary between companies. Be certain that you understand how each insurance company views your health situation and how that will be reflected in your health insurance premium. An independent insurance agent may be able to provide this information and tell you how different insurance companies conduct their underwriting process.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

If I'm at risk for breast cancer, will insurance cover genetic counseling?
Shelly WeissShelly Weiss
For the most part, insurance does cover genetic counseling. For the consultation, if there is a pers...
What is the most I am at risk to pay for healthcare per year?
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have ...
Will I pay more for out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services will likely cost you more  than services provided by doctors or other health...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?