How does my employer benefit from a health reimbursement account plan?

Health reimbursement accounts (HRA) offer many advantages to employers, as well as to employees. HRAs are employer-established and employer-funded benefit plans that may be offered in conjunction with other employer-provided health benefits. Employers have complete flexibility to offer various combinations of benefits in designing their plan. Some benefits of an HRA that an employer can enjoy include the following.
  • The employer -- not the employee -- owns the HRA. If an employee with an HRA changes or loses his or her job, any remaining amount in an HRA defaults to the employer.
  • High deductible medical plans -- typically required for the HRA -- encourages employees to adopt healthier lifestyles.
  • High-deductible health plans also have lower premiums.
  • Funds reimbursed from the HRA aren't subject to payroll taxes or Social Security taxes.
  • HRAs encourage employees to use their medical plan and HRA funds wisely. Employees become more aware of the costs of medical care, which likely will reduce costs in the future.
  • Employee retention. Because HRAs offer benefits to employees they can help employers attract and retain the best employees. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What type of life insurance is right for me?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
The two most important things to consider when choosing the right type of life insurance for you are...
Do I pay the co-pay at the time of services?
Co-pays are fixed fees that are usually due before or immediately after you receive a medical servic...
Will I pay more for out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services will likely cost you more  than services provided by doctors or other health...