How do I choose an individual health insurance plan as a cancer survivor?

If you are applying for an individual health insurance plan, an independent insurance broker who works with multiple insurance companies will be able to provide information and recommendations based on their previous experiences with customer claims. Also, read the reports of independent insurance rating companies that are available on the Internet to find an insurer that is rated "excellent" or "superior." Talk with knowledgeable family and friends to find out about their insurance experiences and preferences.

Read the policy carefully so that you understand what the health plan will cover. Make certain that the plan you choose contains the features you need the most. If the health plan is a managed care plan, find out what the process would be if you wanted to use a medical provider that is not a member of the plan network.

During your research to find the health plan that will best meet your needs, find the answers to the following questions:
  • What is the financial stability of the insurer?
  • What is the insurance company's record of payment on insurance claims?
  • How much will it cost for the desired health coverage?
  • How do those who have coverage with the insurer rate the plan and service?
There are also statewide and national organizations that will help you evaluate health plan options.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
SharecareSharecare
Your doctor designates a privacy official who is responsible for making sure your medical records ar...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?