How can I find a surgeon who participates in my insurance?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

You can find a surgeon on your insurance by requesting a list of physicians either through a handbook or on the internet.  In general, the different insurance carriers will have a handbook that is given out annually which will indicate the surgeons that are providers with their insurance carrier.  They may also have this listed online on the internet for easy perusal.  Please realize that many surgeons are not providers for specific insurance companies and insurance companies that are PPOs, or point of service, will allow patients to be seen by both in network and out of network physicians.

Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy

Most health plans have printed directories and/or web sites that list providers who participate in that plan – often referred to as “in network.”  However, these directories are not always up-to-date, so it is usually a good practice to ask the doctor’s office to check to see if they are still participating and also if they are accepting new patients. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Will choosing a doctor within my insurer's network save me money?
Choosing a doctor within your insurer's network usually will cost you less money than choosing a doc...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
How Important Is the Patient-Doctor Relationship?