Can a group health plan deny me coverage based on my health status?

A group plan cannot deny you or any eligible family member coverage based on your health status, because of a law known as HIPAA -- the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. HIPAA limits the ability of a new employer plan to exclude coverage for preexisting conditions; prohibits discrimination against employees and their dependent family members based on any health factors they may have, including prior medical conditions, previous claims experience, and genetic information; and guarantees that certain individuals will have access to, and can renew, individual health insurance policies.

Certain state laws may complement HIPAA, or offer even more generous protections. To find out about the laws in your state, contact your state's insurance commissioner's office. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is term life insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
As the name suggests, term life insurance is meant to be held for a specific period of time (the “te...
Can I choose more than one beneficiary?
You can choose as many beneficiaries as you want. Beneficiaries can be primary, which means they get...
What happens to the health reimbursement account (HRA) if I leave my job?
Your health reimbursement account (HRA) is established, funded and controlled by your employer and H...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?