Can a group health plan deny me coverage based on my health status?

A group plan cannot deny you or any eligible family member coverage based on your health status, because of a law known as HIPAA -- the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. HIPAA limits the ability of a new employer plan to exclude coverage for preexisting conditions; prohibits discrimination against employees and their dependent family members based on any health factors they may have, including prior medical conditions, previous claims experience, and genetic information; and guarantees that certain individuals will have access to, and can renew, individual health insurance policies.

Certain state laws may complement HIPAA, or offer even more generous protections. To find out about the laws in your state, contact your state's insurance commissioner's office. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Break the Health Insurance-Stress Cycle
The plot of the TV series Breaking Bad hinged on the premise that overwhelming stress caused by out-of-pocket costs for cancer treatment could turn a ...
What is private health insurance?
Private health insurance is a health insurance plan often offered through employers and organization...
How do I select a primary care doctor?
Dr. Scott A. Wolf, DODr. Scott A. Wolf, DO
When selecting a primary care physician (PCP), you should evaluate many factors, including the docto...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?