Does having a disease affect insurance coverage?

Having any diagnosed disease complicates your health insurance coverage, but you can usually find some type of coverage. If the disease is diagnosed while you currently have coverage, you will need to learn more about the specific benefits and limitations of your policy. You may need to complete more paperwork or pay more for coverage. If you need to purchase a new policy, the disease would be considered a preexisting condition. There are laws, particularly the HIPAA or Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that regulate how an insurance company must treat a preexisting condition. This law pertains to anyone covered by a large group plan, not an individual policy. Even without the conditions of HIPAA, most insurance companies will have coverage for preexisting conditions at a higher cost to you.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
Will my insurance cover VELscope test?
It depends. (just like almost every other question about insurance coverage). The VELscope test is a...
How do I check that my insurance covers breast cancer surgery expenses?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Prior to admittance, you need to check with both the hospital and your health-insurance carrier to d...
Who Do You Politiically Align Your Company With?