Does having a disease affect insurance coverage?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Having any diagnosed disease complicates your health insurance coverage, but you can usually find some type of coverage. If the disease is diagnosed while you currently have coverage, you will need to learn more about the specific benefits and limitations of your policy. You may need to complete more paperwork or pay more for coverage. If you need to purchase a new policy, the disease would be considered a preexisting condition. There are laws, particularly the HIPAA or Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that regulate how an insurance company must treat a preexisting condition. This law pertains to anyone covered by a large group plan, not an individual policy. Even without the conditions of HIPAA, most insurance companies will have coverage for preexisting conditions at a higher cost to you.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How does a health savings account differ from a flexible spending account?
Both health savings accounts (HSA) and flexible spending accounts (FSA) offer you ways to cover your...
Does insurance cover hospice care?
Coverage may be available through Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, and some hospices ma...
What type of life insurance is right for me?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
The two most important things to consider when choosing the right type of life insurance for you are...
How can I find a surgeon who participates in my insurance?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
You can find a surgeon on your insurance by requesting a list of physicians either through a handboo...