If I'm uninsured do I have to enroll my child in Medicaid?

If you’re uninsured, you don’t have to enroll your child in Medicaid. But we’d like to encourage you to do so -- it is the best way to get your child health insurance.

Under the Children’s Health Insurance Program, children are eligible for free or low-cost health insurance. The insurance covers expenses such as medication, doctor visits, and dental care. Programs vary by state, so contact your state’s Medicaid office for eligibility requirements.

For more information about children’s health insurance, call 1-877-543-7669, or visit www.insurekidsnow.gov.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an annuity?
Ric EdelmanRic Edelman
The term annuity simply refers to a stream of income. Pensions and Social Security benefits, for exa...
What should a transplant recipient know about health insurance?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Insurance has become the ugly word of medicine. With that said, it is important that you know as muc...
What is the small business tax credit?
The small business tax credit is a provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPAC...
What short-term needs should I consider when reviewing my life insurance?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
When reviewing your short-term life insurance coverage needs, you should consider: What assets w...