Do all organizations follow HIPAA rules about my health information?

There are organizations that may have health information about you but do not have to follow the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) rules. For example, life insurers, employers and workers' compensation carriers are not required to follow these rules. However, privacy protections may be required through other laws they have to follow. The same is true for many schools and school districts, state agencies such as child protective service agencies, law enforcement agencies and municipal offices.
There are organizations that may have health information about you but do not have to follow the HIPAA Privacy and SecurityRules. For example, life insurers, employers and workers' compensation, carriers are not required to follow these Rules. However, privacy protections may be required through other laws they have to follow. The same is true for many schools and school districts, State agencies such as child protective service agencies, law enforcement agencies and municipal offices.Remember, PHRs and mobile apps also may not be required to follow the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
How can I control who gets information about my health care?
SharecareSharecare
By federal law, your medical information is kept private with certain exceptions. Your information m...
How is my health information protected by HIPAA?
SharecareSharecare
Doctors, hospitals and other health care providers must get your permission before they share your h...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?