Can I buy disease specific insurance if I already have the disease?

Disease-specific insurance was originally designed to provide protection after a diagnosis or treatment of a critical disease. However, now you usually cannot buy disease-specific insurance after you have developed the disease. Be aware, there are people who will try to scam you by selling you disease-specific insurance after your diagnosis. Some call these legal robbery policies, because the restrictions you must meet before you get paid or reimbursed are often so encompassing that you are more likely to be hit by lightening twice in a day than benefit from one.

Although there are laws and regulations in place regarding pre-existing conditions and basic health care coverage, because disease specific insurance is a supplemental plan, these laws may not apply. Many providers specify that if you already have, for example, diabetes or cancer, that you cannot then purchase a policy to protect you from that disease. You may consider purchasing a high-risk insurance policy to cover a preexisting condition.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Can my young adult children stay on my health plan?
Your young adult children can stay on your health plan until they turn 26 years old. The Patient Pro...
What is a flexible spending account (FSA)?
A flexible spending account (FSA), also called a flexible spending arrangement, is an account set up...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?