Does dental insurance cover screening methods for detecting oral cancer?

Depending on the type of screening method being used to try and catch oral cancer, it may be covered by your dental insurance and what percent of costs/charges will be paid for by the plan might be determined by you (covered does not mean paid for in toto). For example, at a routine dental check-up (you know, the one in which the hygienist brushes, flosses, and polishes your teeth way more thoroughly than you ever could, and then reminds you to floss daily), typically also includes a visual screen. The visual screen is a thorough look inside your mouth to identify spots, sores, or lesions that may indicate oral cancer. Since this type of screening is part of a routine dental exam, your dental insurance will cover this if it covers routine visits to your dentist.

Other methods for screening include fluorescent staining of the mouth and another staining method called toluidine blue. These methods may or may not be covered by your dental benefits plan. To find out which screening methods are covered, call the benefits office at work, or the number on the back of your dental benefits plan card. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Can I have a HRA and a healthcare FSA to cover healthcare costs?
Your employer may choose to offer you a health care flexible spending account (health FSA) as well a...
How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
SharecareSharecare
Your doctor designates a privacy official who is responsible for making sure your medical records ar...
What are consumer-directed health plans?
A consumer-directed health plan (CDHP) is designed to raise awareness of healthcare costs and put mo...
How much coverage will an elderly person need for long-term care insurance?
Cara Mae MeltonCara Mae Melton
You will need to do the math to figure out how much coverage an elderly person will need for long-te...