Why should I consider dental insurance if I’m pregnant?

You should consider dental insurance during pregnancy for two reasons: your health and the health of your unborn baby. First, be aware that during your pregnancy, your gums are more likely to get sore and inflamed. Gingivitis may make your gums bleed easily, or may make the gums red and painful. This is where a dentist (and therefore dental insurance) comes in. Your dentist may suggest getting your teeth cleaned a bit more often than usual -- and if your dental insurance helps pay for those cleanings, then that’s more money that can be used on, say, baby stuff!

Another reason to consider dental insurance is that some studies suggest that periodontal (gum) disease that is especially severe may increase the risk of miscarriage and pre-term labor. Luckily, severe gum disease can be prevented with good oral hygiene: this includes brushing and flossing daily (your dentist can show you how to do it properly), eating a well-balanced diet, and (bet you saw this one coming) getting regular check-ups and cleanings by your dentist. Dental insurance can help you pay for those check-ups.

So consider dental insurance as one of many ways you are being the best mom-to-be!

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What are out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services are medical services that are provided by health care professionals and/or h...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?