How can I get my insurance to cover more diabetes test strips?

Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

You can get insurance to pay for more test strips per day if you have your doctor write a letter stating that is medically necessary. The insurance company may not tell you that when you call  to ask if you can get more. But you are entitled to proper health care. 

Advocate for yourself and ask to speak to a supervisor if you feel it is warranted, or call back. Sometimes the first person you reach has a lack of knowledge about diabetes or how we need to care for it. If your general practitioner on your health plan prescribes any medication or medical device or refers you to a specialist, then it is deemed medically necessary. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
How are health savings accounts (HSA) valuable to consumers?
Health savings accounts (HSA) are valuable to consumers for many different reasons. HSAs are tax-exe...
What is a HIPAA notice?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Most of your healthcare providers and your health insurance company must give you a HIPPA notice, or...
In What Ways Do You Think the American Healthcare System is Broken?