Can I have a HRA and a healthcare FSA to cover healthcare costs?

Your employer may choose to offer you a health care flexible spending account (health FSA) as well as a health reimbursement account (HRA) and you can use both to save money while paying for your medical expenses. Your health FSA is an account set up by your employer but funded by you, usually through pre-tax automatic deductions from your paycheck. Your HRA is an account set up by and funded by your employer from which you can be reimbursed tax-free for qualified medical expenses up to a fixed dollar amount per year.

Unused amounts in your HRA may be rolled over to be used in subsequent years. Unused amounts in your FSA are subject to a use-it-or-lose-it provision by the Internal Revenue Service, which requires you to use or forfeit your FSA funds by the end of your plan year. Some plans include a grace period (no more than 2 1/2 months) that lengthens the amount of time you have to use your FSA funds, or a carryover provision that allows you to roll over a certain amount ($500 maximum) of your FSA funds for the next year.

Before enrolling in a HRA or FSA, be sure to read all plan documents carefully to be sure you understand the benefits and restrictions of the plans your employer offers.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What is a “self-insured” health plan?
A self-insured plan is a health plan offered by an employer who collects premiums from employees and...
What happens when my term life insurance expires?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
One advantage to term life insurance is that your premium–that is, the amount you pay to your insure...
How do I use vision care insurance for eye exams?
To use your vision-care insurance for eye exams, you first have to find an eye-care professional nea...