Can my young adult children stay on my health plan?

Your young adult children can stay on your health plan until they turn 26 years old. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires plans and insurance coverage providers that offer dependent child coverage to make the coverage available until a child reaches the age of 26 even if that adult child is married or has the option of enrolling in their own employer's health coverage. This rule applies to all plans in the individual market and to all employer plans.

Your young adult child’s coverage may end at the end of the month of his 26th birthday, or at the end of the year in which he turns 26, depending on your particular health plan. Talk to the benefits administrator at your workplace or call the customer service number on your insurance ID card for information specific to your plan. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
How Does an Insurance Company Feel About the Affordable Care Act?