What are the basics of individual health insurance?

Individual health insurance is health insurance you buy for yourself from a health insurance company. This means you are responsible for paying the entire premium yourself. Individual health insurance plans vary quite a bit in which products you can choose and how much the different options cost. Shop around to find the plan that gives you benefits you need at a price that won’t break your bank. Whip out that magnifying glass and read the fine print carefully to make sure you understand all the detailed ins and outs of the plan.
Individual health insurance is the most expensive option for people who have insufficient (or nonexistent) coverage through employers. Physical exams and questionnaires are usually required, so poor health can make a huge difference in cost and eligibility.
Types of plans include fee-for-service, preferred provider organizations, health maintenance organizations and catastrophic insurance. Many companies offer health insurance for individuals and specialize in short-term coverage to fill in between employer coverage.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Who should consider travel insurance?
Consider travel health insurance if you're traveling outside the United States, because your regular...
How do I deposit money into the health savings account (HSA)?
Deposits into a health savings account (HSA) usually can be made in one or more ways, depending on y...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
What short-term needs should I consider when reviewing my life insurance?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
When reviewing your short-term life insurance coverage needs, you should consider: What assets w...