What should I ask about a health insurance plan?

Here are some questions to get you started.

1. What hospitals and doctors are in the plan’s network? Make sure your primary care doctor is in network.  (As an example, a 68 y/o man who had a Medicare Advantage plan (HMO) was not able to get treatment at Johns Hopkins because the hospital was not in his plan's network)
  2. What is not covered (exclusions)?
  3. What are my copays for common services like office visits, x-rays, bloodwork and physical therapy?
  4. How much will the plan pay for brand and generic prescriptions? Is there any cap---meaning, the plan only pays for $5,000 per year in drug costs?
  5. What happens if I get cancer? Get pregnant? Become disabled? These are the biggies that really test insurance companies.
  6. Is there coverage for mental health outpatient services?  What is it?
  7. Are alternative or complementary therapies (like acupuncture and reiki) covered?

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
When preparing for the future, many people automatically think about covering the basics, such as food and housing, and maybe travel plans or other pl...
Can I have a HRA and a healthcare FSA to cover healthcare costs?
Your employer may choose to offer you a health care flexible spending account (health FSA) as well a...
Is medical underwriting in individual health insurance legal?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
States regulate the individual health insurance market. The rules as to who can purchase and what is...
What Do You Think About Fee for Service Healthcare?