Are there any new tax benefits for my adult child's coverage?

Tax benefits are available for your adult child's health coverage under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The PPACA allows your children to stay covered under your insurance plan until the end of the month in which they turn age 26. Under a new tax provision in the PPACA and the Treasury guidance, the value of your employer-provided health coverage for your adult child is excluded from your taxable income through the end of the taxable year in which your child turns 26. That means if your child turns 26 in June, but your plan allows your child to stay on your plan through the end of your taxable year (through December, for most people), and your child does stay on your plan during that time, the value of that plan for the full year will not be included in your taxable income for that year. This expanded health care tax benefit applies to workplace and retiree health plans. It also applies to self-employed individuals who qualify for the self-employed health insurance deduction on their federal income tax return.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
What is term life insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
As the name suggests, term life insurance is meant to be held for a specific period of time (the “te...
Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by ...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?