What is a state insurance exchange?

One of the ways the Affordable Care Act of 2010 will expand coverage in 2014 is to offer a marketplace where private insurance companies will compete for your business. These state marketplaces will make it easier for you to review and compare plans, creating an incentive for insurance companies to keep premiums low and more competitive with other plans, including group plans.

So, if you are not already covered by insurance through your employer, Medicare, or Medicaid - say, for example, you are self-employed or between jobs - the marketplace will help you find affordable, comprehensive coverage that includes preventive care.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How will subsidies for exchanges be calculated under the ACA?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
According the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare, subsidies for the exchange will be available ...
Does the restriction on annual limits apply to all benefits?
The restriction on annual limits is a provision in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P...
Can a group health plan deny me coverage based on my health status?
A group plan cannot deny you or any eligible family member coverage based on your health status, bec...
What's an Example of Your Own Type of App Store?