What types of health plans need to cover adult children until age 26?

All health plans in the Health Insurance Marketplace and those offered by employers are required to offer dependent children coverage until a child reaches the age of 26, under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Both married and unmarried children qualify for this coverage, as do children who do or don't live with their parents. Even adults under age 26 who are working and have access to health insurance through their own employer can opt out of their employer's plan and retain coverage through their parent's health plan.  

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How to Pick a Plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Since the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplaces opened for business in 2013, many more people have been regularly shopping for ins...
How do I know if domestic partners are covered under my plan?
To find out if domestic partners are covered under your plan, check directly with your health insure...
How will subsidies for exchanges be calculated under the ACA?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
According the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare, subsidies for the exchange will be available ...
Why Should Patients be so Concerned About Privacy in a World of Social Media?