What does the Affordable Care Act mean for me if I have Medicare?

Because of the health care law, if you have Medicare, your guaranteed Medicare benefits are protected. Changes to Medicare lower the out-of-pocket cost for the prescription drugs you need to stay healthy. You also get more preventive care at no cost to you. Specifically, the law: 
  • Lowers out-of-pocket prescription drug costs: The Medicare Part D coverage gap or "doughnut hole" will gradually get smaller until it disappears in 2020. As long as you are enrolled in a Medicare Part D plan, you don't need to do anything to get these benefits.
  • Expands coverage for wellness and preventive care: You now get yearly wellness visits and other screenings for diabetes and certain cancers -- at no cost to you. Be sure to make an appointment with your primary care doctor to take advantage of these new Medicare-approved preventive services.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How to Pick a Plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Since the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplaces opened for business in 2013, many more people have been regularly shopping for ins...
Are there any new tax benefits for my adult child's coverage?
Tax benefits are available for your adult child's health coverage under the Patient Protection and A...
Will the new healthcare law reduce waste, fraud and abuse?
AARPAARP
Yes. The new health care law reduces waste, fraud and abuse:   The law cracks down on waste, fraud...
Why Are People Willing to Share Health Information on Social Media Sites?