Is contraception covered by the Affordable Care Act?

Under the Affordable Care Act, one of the women’s preventive services that is covered without cost-sharing requirements includes contraception and contraceptive counseling. Women have access to all Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling. These recommendations do not include abortifacient drugs. Most workers in employer-sponsored plans are covered for contraceptives. Family planning services are an essential preventive service for women and critical to appropriately spacing and ensuring intended pregnancies, which results in improved maternal health and better birth outcomes.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How to Pick a Plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Since the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplaces opened for business in 2013, many more people have been regularly shopping for ins...
What are the health care reform changes?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Now that the Affordable Care Act (the Act) has been signed into law, you may be wondering what has c...
What does the Affordable Care Act mean for me if I buy my own insurance?
AARP Health EducationAARP Health Education
If you buy your own coverage, the 2010 health care law benefits you because it: Makes it easier ...
Why Is It Taking So Long to Reform the U.S. Healthcare System?