How will the Affordable Care Act help if I have a preexisting condition?

If you or the person you care for has been uninsured for at least six months and has been denied health coverage because of a health condition, you may be able to get coverage. This coverage -- called the Preexisting Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) -- is available in your state now. This program continues until the health insurance exchanges start in 2014, when everyone can get insurance regardless of health status. You will find more information about how to apply for PCIP at www.pcip.gov.

Starting in 2014, insurance companies can no longer deny anyone health insurance because of a preexisting condition.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How to Pick a Plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Since the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplaces opened for business in 2013, many more people have been regularly shopping for ins...
How does the new healthcare law improve long-term care services?
AARPAARP
The new health care law improves both long-term care services and information:   Starting in 2011,...
If I don't have health insurance, what will happen to me under the new law?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
In order not to be subject to a tax penalty, the deadline to enroll in health insurance is March 31s...
Can Other Companies Join TicTrac?
Can Other Companies Join TicTrac?