How is the ACA tax credit on insurance premiums calculated?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing

The premium tax credit will vary based on family income and the cost of health insurance in the exchange available to the taxpayer. The credit will equal the difference between the premium for the second-lowest-price silver plan (also known as the benchmark plan) and a specified percentage of income. In 2014 the percentage ranges from 2 percent for those with incomes below 133 percent of poverty and goes up to 9.5 percent for those with incomes up to 400 percent of poverty.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Reform

How to Pick a Plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Since the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplaces opened for business in 2013, many more people have been regularly shopping for ins...
What does the Affordable Care Act mean for me if I'm uninsured?
AARP Health EducationAARP Health Education
If you are uninsured, you have access to health insurance - even if you have a pre-existing conditio...
Does the new healthcare law benefit early retirees?
AARPAARP
The new health care law helps protect health benefits for early retirees. If you are between 55 and ...
Have We Become Too Reliant on Technology for Patient Care?