Why should I only use accredited hospitals?

Is the hospital accredited by The Joint Commission? If so, it means the hospital has voluntarily met national health and safety standards. You don’t need to interrogate an Emergency Department (ED) staffer to find this out; you can learn if the hospital is accredited (as well as how it’s performing in several key areas) at The Joint Commission’s Quality Check website.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
The Joint Commission is an important healthcare watchdog group that inspects hospitals and rates them in numerous areas, including safe practices, infection control measures, and other critical efforts. I wouldn't use a hospital that wasn't accredited by the Joint Commission—it's that simple.

You can check a hospital's status at http://www.qualitycheck.org or by calling (630) 792-5000. If a hospital is unaccredited, it may mean it's failed to meet minimum standards in preventing medical mistakes, managing your meds correctly, preventing infection, and other major safety areas.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

New Insights into Preventing Type 2 Diabetes and Choosing the Right Doctor
Q: I know people who have developed type 2 diabetes who aren’t particularly overweight or sedentary. Does that mean anyone can get it? What can I do t...
Why does medicine seem to flip-flop on what is good or bad?
SCAISCAI
It can be frustrating: what is good for you one day is bad the next, or no one seems quite sure. Is ...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
How Can Africa Benefit from Mobile Health?