Why is it important to build a relationship with my primary care physician?

Building and keeping a relationship with your primary care doctor can ensure there is trust between you and your him or her. This helps maximize your treatment.

Primary care physicians are vital to a person's overall healthcare. They can provide a medical home of sorts—a place where all care is managed from one trusted source.

Make sure you select a doctor you feel the most comfortable with. Over time, you can develop a relationship in which not only does your doctor get to know you, but you get to know your doctor.

When you need to seek specialty care, your primary care physician is best able to direct that. Her or she will have relationships with specialists, so referrals will include direct communication with that specialist.

Another advantage that a primary care physician offers is preventive medicine, achieved by scheduling annual check-ups and recommended screenings. Your doctor's focus is to help you stay healthy well into the future, so he or she will be looking for risk factors, whether that be from a family history, behavior or lifestyle. Your primary care physician's goal is to get you to live on this planet in good health and as long as possible.

Dr. Ryan G. Aronin, MD
Internist

The relationship you have with your primary care provider (PCP) is critical to maintaining optimal medical care. You must feel comfortable and secure with your PCP so you can discuss important medical issues, including (but not limited to) alcohol abuse, fertility, depression, hemorrhoids or weight loss.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What does the suffix -itis mean in medical terminology?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
A word that ends in -itis simply means "inflammation." For example, bursitis describes an inflamed b...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
DNA Economy: Using Genetic Information to Improve Health