Why might a person with a terminal illness become more spiritual?

David Kuhl
Hospice & Palliative Medicine
The spiritual experience is one of profound love and acceptance -- seeking to live in truth and forgiveness, with a deep understanding of healing and wholeness. For some people, learning that they have a terminal illness is a gift, a gift of time to pay close attention to who they really are, discover the sense of a higher power and grow in self-acceptance and love. As this spiritual discovery unfolds, the fear of death is diminished or even eliminated.

Spirituality provides a sense of connection to a higher power. This higher power provides unconditional love, and the individual thus learns to love unconditionally as well. In the context of that love, the individual accepts herself with an awareness of the wounds of lifetime, beginning in childhood. One is then able to extend that acceptance to others. Because the higher power offers forgiveness and love without judgment, the individual is also able to forgive herself and others for all transgressions. In the strength of this higher power, one experiences healing and a deep connection with self and others.
What Dying People Want: Practical Wisdom For The End Of Life

Facing death results in more fear and anxiety than any other human experience. Though much has been done to address the physical pain suffered by those with a terminal illness, Western medicine has...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

A Nurse's Perspective: The 3 Most Awesome Healthcare Tips
As the head nurse at a level 2 trauma center, I listen and communicate with empathy to help my patients to survive, heal and go home healthier. But I’...
What does an ambulatory pharmacist do?
Angela Green, PharmDAngela Green, PharmD
An ambulatory pharmacist works with a primary care provider (PCP) and plays an integral role in pati...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
What Is the Gamification of Healthcare?
What Is the Gamification of Healthcare?