Why might a person who is dying reflect on his or her life?

David Kuhl
Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Reviewing one’s life is a spontaneous process that begins once people know they are dying, once they know they have a terminal illness. It seems to be inevitable, the process of reflecting on one’s life, one’s personal history. It begins from within, and it bursts into our thoughts and dreams. Some people blurt out their life story in conversation. They want their story, their legacy, to be heard. It is more than merely remembering or reminiscing. It is a process by which they make sense of their past with the desire to understand who they are, find meaning in who they have been, and hope for the future.
What Dying People Want: Practical Wisdom For The End Of Life

Facing death results in more fear and anxiety than any other human experience. Though much has been done to address the physical pain suffered by those with a terminal illness, Western medicine has...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Not Seeing This Doc? You Could Be Shortchanging Your Health
Even though synonyms for the word “primary” include “chief,” “key,” “crucial,” and “most important,” 30 percent of American adults and nearly half of ...
How are antibiotics and antimicrobial agents different?
The term antibiotic originally referred to a natural compound produced by a fungus or another microo...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
What's Changed About Treating the Health of Children?