Why do doctors prescribe off-label medicine for children?

If pediatricians prescribed only drugs approved for kids, we’d have a lot of sick kids. So it’s extremely common for doctors to prescribe medications off-label for children. In fact, around 80 percent of medicine used for kids is prescribed off-label.

In some cases, there is good data showing that a particular drug is safe and effective in children, but the pharmaceutical company only applied for FDA approval to use the drug in adults -- because each separate approval (adults and kids) is a long, costly process. For example, you probably remember hearing about Prozac being approved for treating kids with depression. Actually, doctors had been prescribing it to children off-label for years. The drug company just had not applied to the FDA for approval for kids until then. 

Albuterol, used for asthma, is another good example. Even though it’s only approved for kids over two, docs regularly prescribe albuterol for children younger than that if it is needed. Not treating asthma is a poor alternative. And albuterol has been used for so long with so much success that it’s now generally considered safe.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What are the top health risks for redheads?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The following are some of the top health risks for redheads: Melanoma: Red hair and fair skin is ...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
Will Digital Health Improve the Doctor/Patient Relationship?