Why would I need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)?

You would need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line if you have an illness and need a lot of blood tests and injections. To avoid getting poked with a lot of needles for these blood tests and injections, you would get a PICC line. It could have one or two openings, called ports. A tube goes under the skin and straight into the bloodstream. The doctors and nurses use one end to give you medicines and to carry out blood tests. Having a PICC line going straight into your bloodstream means that blood tests can be taken at any time, and medicines can be delivered at any time without needing any more pokes from needles.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Protect Your Family From Whooping Cough
The Whooping Crane is an endangered species—about 400 of these noisy, five-foot tall birds are left in North America. If only whooping cough—that’s pe...
How do hospitalists work with specialists and other doctors?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Hospitalists ask other specialists for consults, support in the emergency room, and more.
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What Future Technologies May Help Improve Healthcare?