Why would I need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)?

You would need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line if you have an illness and need a lot of blood tests and injections. To avoid getting poked with a lot of needles for these blood tests and injections, you would get a PICC line. It could have one or two openings, called ports. A tube goes under the skin and straight into the bloodstream. The doctors and nurses use one end to give you medicines and to carry out blood tests. Having a PICC line going straight into your bloodstream means that blood tests can be taken at any time, and medicines can be delivered at any time without needing any more pokes from needles.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Major Health Risk You Take Every Day
Most people think smoking is the worst thing they can possibly do for their health. But in reality, perhaps the worst thing of all is something most o...
What is an interventional radiologist?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Interventional Radiologists (IRs) are physicians who specialize in minimally invasive, targeted trea...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Are We Creating Too Much Data for Healthcare Providers?