Why do I need to know about patient safety in the hospital?

Hospitals are complicated places. It’s important for you to know about patient safety while you or a loved one is there, just like it is important to know about driving safety while you are in traffic! To ensure receipt of safe care, it is important to actively participate as best you or your invited loved one/advocate can. The driving example is useful to see the importance of understanding why safety is an active sport. When you see something wrong happening while you are driving, you honk. The same goes for when you are in the hospital. If you see something happening that is not right, you let your care team know.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Epigenetics: Why Your Lifestyle Choices May Leave Your Family a Legacy of Health
Photo Credit: Juhan Sonin, via Flickr Creative Commons Dr. Dean Ornish and his colleagues broke ground when they found our lifestyle choices could tu...
What is an adverse event?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
An adverse event is a health problem that results from the medical care you receive. Some adverse ev...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Why Has Our Healthcare System Changed so Little Over the Years?