Who will treat my child in the hospital?

After your child checks in, you’ll be introduced to several hospital staffers who will complement the efforts of your pediatrician, surgeon, and/or specialist. You’ll wonder what they do and why most of them are wearing clogs. (They hose off easily.) Below are some of the players you’re likely to encounter:

• Interns: Say hello to the newest of the new doctors, young physicians right out of medical school and in their first year of training. Under supervision, they can assist in operations and provide hands-on care to patients. Interns are also called first year residents.
  • Residents: These doctors have completed their internships, but they are still in training for their specialty (dermatology, pediatrics, etc.). Residencies can run from two to seven years, depending on the specialty, and residents are ranked by seniority: Junior residents are the newest; senior residents get to boss the junior residents around.
  • Fellows: They act as the attending physician’s right-hand doc. Fellows have already completed an internship and residency in a specialty, such as pediatrics, but are doing more training to specialize even further, such as becoming a pediatric cardiologist. Fellows report a patient’s progress and issues to the attending physician and are usually available to the staff 24/7. Fellows are great sources of information about what’s going on with your child.
  • Attending physician: Your child’s attending physician is the one in charge, the doctor who makes the decisions about your child’s care, even though other staff docs will participate in it. “The attending” is the decider. The attending may be your pediatrician if he or she has privileges at that hospital.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What are the top health risks for redheads?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The following are some of the top health risks for redheads: Melanoma: Red hair and fair skin is ...
What activities can I do when recovering from surgery?
Daniel P. O'Hair, MDDaniel P. O'Hair, MD
Your activity is restricted while you recover from surgery. The following are light to moderate ac...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday. A seemingly normal workday can quickly become horrific if your bod...
Why Is the Healthcare Industry Behind Other Industries Collecting and Using Data?