Where should I get medical care if I don't have a doctor?

“It’s important for patients to establish a relationship with a primary-care physician so that they can go to their physician for emergency or urgent medical problems, as well as for preventive care that may be able to head off some of these acute problems,” says Bernard J. Katz, M.D., of UCLA Health-Santa Monica Bay Physicians. It is recommended that patients who do not have a primary-care physician utilize urgent-care centers when possible and reserve the emergency department (ED) for truly severe or life-threatening problems, Dr. Katz says.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

A Nurse's Perspective: The 3 Most Awesome Healthcare Tips
As the head nurse at a level 2 trauma center, I listen and communicate with empathy to help my patients to survive, heal and go home healthier. But I’...
What does the suffix -itis mean in medical terminology?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
A word that ends in -itis simply means "inflammation." For example, bursitis describes an inflamed b...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What Is the State of Global Public Health Today?