When should a spine board be used?

A spine board should be used whenever there is a suspected injury to the spine. It is most commonly used by Emergency Medical Service (EMS) personnel when treating someone following a severe fall or automobile accident that has caused a possible spine injury. A spine board may also be used by athletic trainers and other sports medicine personnel to remove an athlete with a possible spine injury from the field of play so that they may be transported to a medical facility.

An individual should be placed on a spine board if he/she suffers an injury and has a combination of any of the following: complaints of pain in the area of the spine; numbness and/or tingling in their fingers, toes, arms, or legs; or loss or decreased ability to move their fingers, toes, arms, or legs.

(This answer provided for NATA by David McAllister, MAEd, ATC, LAT.)

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What mortgage or loan information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your mortgage or loan information before you die. The information to gat...
How are surgical instruments different for pediatric surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The instruments used in pediatrics are smaller and can operate in a smaller space.
What Components Does Patient Health Software Need to Improve Outcomes?
Are Physicians and Family Physicians Disconnected from Their Patients Today?