When should I see a specialist versus a family physician?

For a majority of medical conditions, people can be diagnosed and treated by a family physician. If a referral to a specialist is necessary, a family physician or primary care provider can provide the appropriate referral to ensure you are seen by the correct type of specialist. The primary care provider can often start a treatment, and order the appropriate labs or tests that the specialist would like to have available prior to the initial visit.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What activities can I do when recovering from surgery?
Daniel P. O'Hair, MDDaniel P. O'Hair, MD
Your activity is restricted while you recover from surgery. The following are light to moderate ac...
Why Is the Healthcare Industry Behind Other Industries Collecting and Using Data?
Does Technology Help or Hurt the Obesity Epidemic?