When should I see a specialist versus a family physician?

For a majority of medical conditions, people can be diagnosed and treated by a family physician. If a referral to a specialist is necessary, a family physician or primary care provider can provide the appropriate referral to ensure you are seen by the correct type of specialist. The primary care provider can often start a treatment, and order the appropriate labs or tests that the specialist would like to have available prior to the initial visit.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Know Before You Go: MRI
Know Before You Go: MRI
The magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is a large piece of medical equipment—intimidating for some, since your body slides inside it. You may no...
How can my family doctor help prevent chronic disease?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
At your annual wellness exam (which is covered by insurance), your family doctor will work with you ...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?