When I leave the hospital, will my family doctor be updated on my progress?

When you leave the hospital, your family doctor will be updated on your progress. The discharging physician will send a discharge summary to your family doctor. If there is anything urgent that needs to be followed up, such as a lab value, or if you were in the hospital with multiple comorbidities, like heart failure and pneumonia, your family doctor will be called when you are ready for discharge. This will help prevent your needing to be readmitted.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Basics

From choosing the right doctors to getting the right tests, how you manage your health care can make a big difference in your long-term wellbeing. Here's what you need to know to be a smart patient and a strong self-advocate. Lear...

n more from our experts about healthcare.