When I leave the hospital, will my family doctor be updated on my progress?

When you leave the hospital, your family doctor will be updated on your progress. The discharging physician will send a discharge summary to your family doctor. If there is anything urgent that needs to be followed up, such as a lab value, or if you were in the hospital with multiple comorbidities, like heart failure and pneumonia, your family doctor will be called when you are ready for discharge. This will help prevent your needing to be readmitted.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Tools to Participate in Your Own Well Care
These are tense times for many Americans who are concerned about healthcare reform. Many of us are asking what the new terms could mean for our famili...
What type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for me?
Dr. Scott A. Wolf, DODr. Scott A. Wolf, DO
The choice of which type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for you may come down to where you ...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Where Will Genetic Testing Be in Five Years?