What's the difference between an internist and a family medicine doctor?

The biggest difference between an internist and a family medicine doctor is the age of the patients they treat. Family medicine doctors, or family practitioners, usually see all ages -- from babies to seniors. Some family medicine doctors choose to deliver babies as well. Internal medicine doctors, or internists, only see adults, usually age 18 and older.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a New Doctor? 5 Questions You Must Ask
My patient came in with wrist pain. She had fallen and seen a general orthopedic surgeon in her small town, who did an x-ray and saw no fracture. Stil...
When is urgent care best?
CareNowCareNow
A primary care relationship offers just that, a relationship. But the real value is monitoring healt...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
What Is Wellaho?
What Is Wellaho?