What is urgent care?

Urgent care provides convenient treatment for non-life-threatening medical needs on a walk-in basis. Urgent care centers usually have extended hours and are open weekends to provide broad accessibility if you have an urgent need but cannot immediately see your primary care physician (PCP), or if you do not have an immediate need that warrants a trip to an emergency department. 

When non-life-threatening issues are managed by an urgent care center, it frees up emergency department staff for true emergencies -- which is a benefit for everyone. According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly 130 million people visited emergency rooms last year, and only 13 percent were admitted into the hospital. If a patient goes to the ED for a laceration, sprain or strain, it will always be lower priority than symptoms of those experiencing a life-threatening illness or injury. Most urgent care centers can do X-rays, stabilize an injury or wound, perform minor sutures, and refer a patient to a specialist at a fraction of the cost if follow-up or more specialized care is required.

A PCP is recommended and should be the first choice for care. However, for non-life-threatening injuries, urgent care is a great option. Many people find urgent care to be the best option when they are unable to get into a primary care provider for an illness.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

4 Reasons to See Your Doctor Now
4 Reasons to See Your Doctor Now
You may have heard a lot lately about why you can skip certain visits to your doctor. Some groups say women don’t need a mammogram every year, and for...
How has the role of the pharmacist changed over time?
Angela Green, PharmDAngela Green, PharmD
The role of the pharmacist has changed to include more focus on consumer care. There are many practi...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
How Important Is Social Networking to Medicine?