What kind of training does a counselor have?

Counselors possess a master’s degree in counseling or an associated field (M.A., M.S.) and are licensed after several years of experience and completion of a national examination. Counselors offer services in many treatment settings. Tip: Look for one trained in individual, mental health, or clinical counseling, not career counseling (unless you are seeking direction regarding your career).

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Know Before You Go: MRI
Know Before You Go: MRI
The magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is a large piece of medical equipment—intimidating for some, since your body slides inside it. You may no...
What is a patient care assistant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A patient care assistant, also known as a medical or clinical assistant, works closely with nurses t...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Do Health Insurers Respond to the Patient Claim That Their Insurer Won't Pay for a Procedure?