What kind of training does a clinical social worker have?

Clinical social workers possess a master’s degree in social work or social sciences (M.S.W., M.A.) followed by supervised experience leading to state licensure and eligibility in the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW). Clinical social workers offer psychotherapy and, compared with other mental health professions, specialize in community work. Tip: Look for a social worker extensively trained in clinical work and psychotherapy, not in social services or administration.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a Surgeon: How Much Experience is Enough?
An old joke involves a patient asking the doctor, “Have you been successful doing this surgery?”If the doctor says, “Yes, I’ve been successful,” that ...
How can health information technology (health IT) reduce paperwork?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
One benefit of health information technology (health IT) is reduced paperwork. As a patient, you hav...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Do You Convince People to Use Brain Fitness Games and Analytics?