What studies have shown that art helps healing?

The impact of the arts in the healing process was recognized more than 2,000 years ago by the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, who understood the importance of uplifting his patients’ spirits.
Dr. Roger Ulrich’s study “The Arts of Healing” was published in The Journal of The American Medical Association in 1999. He demonstrated that patients who could view nature had shorter post-operative hospital stays, made fewer negative comments, needed fewer doses of narcotics and had fewer post-surgical complications.
Leading hospitals have demonstrated the value of the arts in medicine. The Planetree network of hospitals provides art in patient rooms, treatment areas and residential spaces, and art carts to enable patients to select the artwork of their choice. 

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Ask Dr. Darria
Ask Dr. Darria
You can find all the articles here by Darria Long Gillespie, MD, Executive Vice President, Clinical Strategy at Sharecare and an emergency room doctor...
What information about my power of attorney should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your power of attorney (POA) information before you die. The information...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?