What are the risks of giving children off-label medications?

The downside of a doctor using medications off-label is that pediatricians have to estimate the dosage for kids based on the amount that’s been proven effective in adults (or, sometimes, in older children). Pediatricians have a lot of practice at this. But there’s always some risk of a child getting too much or too little medicine if the dose isn’t calculated correctly, so that’s why caution is key: I always give the smallest dose possible to do the job in order to minimize the odds that the drug will cause side effects.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Why would a person come to see a PA versus a physician?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is a personal preference whether a patient would like to see a physician assistant (PA) versus a ...
What is a hospitalist?
Dr. Umang Patel, DODr. Umang Patel, DO
A hospitalist is a physician who specializes in taking care of people in an acute hospital setting. ...
How can health information technology (health IT) reduce paperwork?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
One benefit of health information technology (health IT) is reduced paperwork. As a patient, you hav...
How Close Are We to a Future of Personalized Medicine?