What are the risks of giving children off-label medications?

The downside of a doctor using medications off-label is that pediatricians have to estimate the dosage for kids based on the amount that’s been proven effective in adults (or, sometimes, in older children). Pediatricians have a lot of practice at this. But there’s always some risk of a child getting too much or too little medicine if the dose isn’t calculated correctly, so that’s why caution is key: I always give the smallest dose possible to do the job in order to minimize the odds that the drug will cause side effects.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Tools to Participate in Your Own Well Care
These are tense times for many Americans who are concerned about healthcare reform. Many of us are asking what the new terms could mean for our famili...
What is an adverse event?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
An adverse event is a health problem that results from the medical care you receive. Some adverse ev...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Are We Becoming a Healthier Society?
Are We Becoming a Healthier Society?