What religious services can be provided in a hospital setting?

Spiritual aspects of many patients' lives are disrupted when they are in the hospital, and we do what we can to help them feel more connected to familiar traditions and religious/spiritual practices. Patients who are ambulatory can come to any of our services held on the hospital premises. For patients who are not ambulatory, we can bring spiritual practices to the bedside. An example is the “Shabbat in a Box” program for Jewish patients and families who want to observe the Sabbath. We will bring freshly baked challah bread, grape juice, wineglasses and two battery-operated candles as a way of creating some normalcy and continuance of a religious practice while the patient is confined to the hospital bed.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

4 Smart Steps to Prevent Weekend Medical Mistakes
The eagle flies on Friday declared T-Bone Walker in the 1947 hit tune "Stormy Monday." That blues-y phrase means Friday equals payday—and that equals ...
What makes a good primary care physician?
TriStar Southern Hills Medical CenterTriStar Southern Hills Medical Center
A good primary care physician is someone you trust, who listens to you, has up-to-date knowledge and...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Does Connected Health Create More Personal Responsibility for Patients?