What is the proper way to strap someone to a spine board?

There are several strapping options available to strap someone to a spine board, and a rescuer should always choose the method they have practiced and are most comfortable using. No matter what option you choose, the body should be strapped securely enough to allow the board to be turned on its side in case the victim begins to vomit. Arms can be left free during the stabilization process, but once the torso is secure, hands can be taped or strapped to the top of the body.

(This answer provided for NATA by Justin Smith MA, ATC, LAT.)

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

New Insights into Preventing Type 2 Diabetes and Choosing the Right Doctor
Q: I know people who have developed type 2 diabetes who aren’t particularly overweight or sedentary. Does that mean anyone can get it? What can I do t...
How can I protect myself from medical-related identity theft and fraud?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Medical identity theft and fraud are serious crimes that can cost you money and lead to inaccurate m...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
How Do You Convince People to Use Brain Fitness Games and Analytics?