What is a laser?

The word laser stands for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.” A laser is a concentrated beam of light, created when an electric current passes through a special material.

The name and the color of the laser depend on the type of special material that is used:

• Argon gas — blue-green light
  • Krypton gas — red or yellow light
  • YAG (yttrium-aluminum-garnet) — invisible infrared light
  • Argon fluoride (excimer) — invisible ultraviolet light

Laser surgery in ophthalmology can successfully treat many types of eye diseases.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What is regionalization of healthcare?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Regionalization of healthcare is the shifting of care to designated centers within a certain system ...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What's Wrong With the American Healthcare System Today?