What kind of accreditation should my child's hospital have?

Always, always check to see if a hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission, or “the Joint,” as it’s affectionately called by the folks who work there. The mission of this good group is to help hospitals (and other health care organizations) provide the safest and best health care possible. You might not have heard of The Joint Commission, but you can bet doctors, nurses, hospitals, and everyone else in health care has. That’s because it delivers what amounts to a report card on hospitals. Bad report card, bad trouble. Good report card—which means meeting extremely high standards and safety goals—and the hospital earns The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What are biologicals?
Biological pertains to biology or to life and living things. In medicine, it refers to a substance m...
What is a hospitalist?
Dr. Umang Patel, DODr. Umang Patel, DO
A hospitalist is a physician who specializes in taking care of people in an acute hospital setting. ...
How Do We Get All This Patient Health Data to Synch Up?
What Excites You the Most About Healthcare?