What is the patient-centered medical home (PCMH)?

The patient-centered medical home (PCMH) is a model of care practiced by primary care physicians (PCPs). These practices strive to develop a close partnership between patient and doctor, with the patient at the hub. The PCP and his or her healthcare team—consisting of physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and medical assistants—work directly with the patient to design a personalized care plan that encompasses his or her physical and behavioral/mental health needs.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

New Insights into Preventing Type 2 Diabetes and Choosing the Right Doctor
Q: I know people who have developed type 2 diabetes who aren’t particularly overweight or sedentary. Does that mean anyone can get it? What can I do t...
What information about my power of attorney should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your power of attorney (POA) information before you die. The information...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
5 Questions to Ask When Getting a Medical Test