What is a Jackson Pratt drain?

A Jackson-Pratt drain (or JP drain) is made of a clear, thin rubber tube (which is typically inserted inside your body after a surgery or a procedure) inserted into a clear, soft, round squeeze bulb with a removable stopper (which sits outside your body and whose contents are emptied regularly).

The JP drain is used to passively remove fluid that can collect inside your body after surgery, infection, or injury. 

The National Institutes of Health offer an easy to read document on how to care for the drain.  Here is a link.   

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/jp.pdf

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
Should I talk to my doctor about different dosing?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
It is very important to have an open communication with your physician. He needs to know how you are...
What Are Your Biggest Challenges Communicating Issues in Global Public Health?
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?