What is a Jackson Pratt drain?

A Jackson-Pratt drain (or JP drain) is made of a clear, thin rubber tube (which is typically inserted inside your body after a surgery or a procedure) inserted into a clear, soft, round squeeze bulb with a removable stopper (which sits outside your body and whose contents are emptied regularly).

The JP drain is used to passively remove fluid that can collect inside your body after surgery, infection, or injury. 

The National Institutes of Health offer an easy to read document on how to care for the drain.  Here is a link.   

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/jp.pdf

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
What does an ambulatory pharmacist do?
Angela Green, PharmDAngela Green, PharmD
An ambulatory pharmacist works with a primary care provider (PCP) and plays an integral role in pati...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Are We Closer Now to a Unified Health Record?